Skip to main content

Halfway There: Milestones, Memories & Marine Mammals

 As this week marks a full year of drone flights for the Aberdeen Marine Mammal Project, it also marks the halfway point in my data collection and, incredibly, the halfway point in my PhD journey. Time really does fly (almost as fast as the drone on a calm day over the colony)!

Poster submission for 2025 SGSSS Impact competition

First and foremost, I want to extend a heartfelt thank you to everyone who supported me during the SGSSS Impact Competition. It meant so much to be shortlisted, and although I didn’t win, the experience was incredibly rewarding. I was truly touched by the kind feedback from those who voted and took the time to leave encouraging comments. Your support and enthusiasm is why I love sharing this research—it’s not just about seals and science, but about people, and the collective curiosity and passion we share.

One of my favourite events to be part of Pint of Science. 

One of the parts I’ve enjoyed most this year has been the chance to talk about my work with so many different audiences. From conferences to pubs, it’s been a joy to see others enthused and chat about better understanding and protecting the seals. Pint of Science was a real highlight—I had another brilliant chance to showcase the joys (and challenges!) of blending technology with ecology. Who knew seals and artificial intelligence would make such a great double act?

My Poster presentation at the International INSA Sunbelt Conference last year.

And the conversations aren’t over yet! I’m really looking forward to giving another public talk on Monday, 2nd June at Forvie Nature Reserve Centre at 7pm. This one will be a little different from my previous research talks. While I’ll be sharing updates from the current project, the team at Forvie has invited me to dive into stories from my earlier roles—working with seals in more remote and unusual settings. I’m excited to revisit some of those memories and share them with a new audience. If you’re nearby, I’d love to see you there!

A taster of the talk

None of this—neither the research nor the outreach—would be possible without the incredible community around this project. Whether you’ve helped by sharing a GPS track, lending a hand on the beach, coming along to a talk, or simply supporting me from the office (or afar), thank you. Your involvement, in big ways and small, keeps this work going and makes it meaningful.

Celebratory "1 year of drone data" cinnamon buns and dolphin watching

Reaching the halfway mark of both the fieldwork and my PhD feels like a huge achievement—a moment to take stock, celebrate the progress so far, and gear up for the road ahead. I can’t wait to see what the next half brings, and I’m so grateful to have your support going forward.

Here’s to seals, science, and shared stories—onward we go!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Galumphing with the Seals of Forvie: Tales of a drone internship by Chris Jenkins

The PhD Project was awarded a generous grant from Sea-Changers, a marine conservation charity, to support our drone-based seal research at the Ythan Estuary. This funding is crucial for providing the on-the-ground assistance needed to ensure safe and effective drone flights, while safeguarding the delicate wildlife of the reserve. It's all the people on the ground who make my research possible. I’m excited to introduce Chris, my latest drone observer intern. Read on to hear his reflections on the role! So after the excitement of being taken on for the drone internship the reality of starting this and praying I wouldn’t mess up took the sheen of that initial thrill.   Luckily the intimidation of working with Scotland’s seal Queen was allayed upon meeting with the impressive Claire Stainfield. Her easy-going manner and disarming smile, soon put the the fear of dropping a clanger too bed. (hopefully not too big a clanger) A Soft landing was mercifully granted too me for my fi...

In Photos: The Seal Survey Process, by Alice Pollard

I’m excited to introduce Alice Pollard, a journalism student from the University of Stirling. With a strong passion for environmental and conservation themes she requested to join me for a photojournalism assignment.   Read on to hear her reflections on documenting a survey! The sun is rising over the North Sea. Hundreds of grey seals lift dozy heads in the golden light, a handful slipping into the icy embrace of the River Ythan, unaware of the drone buzzing far above them. It is 8 am, and the conditions are perfect for a seal survey. I have joined PhD student Claire Stainfield for the morning, armed with a bag of lenses and a slightly rusty Nikon. The goal? To document the seal survey process, and learn about the importance of the project. What I didn’t anticipate, however, was the striking onslaught of nature from all angles at Ythan Estuary. Claire has dedicated her life to studying seals. On the frozen shores of the North Sea, she undertakes her latest project – studying v...

Waiting on the Weather: Starting This Year’s Seal Surveys

  In my previous roles working with seals, the weather rarely dictated whether work happened — only how uncomfortable it might be. I’ve pressure-washed outdoor seal enclosures in rescue centers in driving rain, worked through snowstorms at Bird Island with the British Antarctic Survey, and endured intense heat on the Galápagos sea lion project. The work simply carried on. There were moments when sanity was questionable. Times when it took an hour just to defrost fingers, or when you were so soaked through that it felt pointless trying to dry out. Every seal team also had a bit of a reputation for being hard on equipment — waterproof casings inevitably failed, salt spray found its way into everything, and we were forever asking for help fixing kit that had once again been pushed to its limits by the marine environment. There’s a saying that pets often reflect their owners, and I’ve long thought there might be something similar going on with researchers and their study species. W...